Significant Investor Visa
Australia Citizenship by Investment
The Significant Investor Visa program in Australia has been a great success, leading to more than $11 billion in direct investment since its launch in 2012, “said David Smithe, Managing Director of Asset Secured Investments. the Significant Investor Visa offers Permanent Residency and Citizenship for a one-time investment of $5 million AUD. Each year, around 7,000 visas are issued for the entire business investment programme and this looks set to rise over the next decade.
It is widely accepted that Australia’s Significant Investor Visa program is the best of its kind in the World as it gives holders the option to apply for full dual Citizenship of arguably one of the most desirable countries in the World.
Significant Investor Visa
The Australian Significant Investor Visa ( Australia Golden Visa ) gives a fast track pathway to Australian Citizenship for High Net Worth Individuals (HNWI) to through investment. The Sophisticated Investor Visa starts as a Permanent Residency visa and converts to full citizenship after three to four years.
Significant Investor Visa Key Facts
- Investment of A$5m in specific structure
- No age limit
- Option to bypass English requirement
- Minimum stay just 40 days in 5 years
- Permanent Residence (PR) after 4 years
- No country quota
- No investment needed until after pre approval
- After 4 years the applicant and family can transition from Temporary Residence (TR Subclass 188) to Permanent Residence (PR Subclass 888).
Investment Criteria for the Australian Significant Investor Visa
- Maximum 60%: In non-residential real estate, corporate bonds and shares.
- Minimum 10%: Venture Capital
Advantages of Significant Investor Visa
- Ability to work, live or study in Australia
- High standard education and healthcare system
- Ability to bring eligible dependents:
- Spouse or de facto partner
- Dependent children under 23
- No English language test
- No points test
- No upper age limits
- Pathway to Citizenship
- Dual nationality and a second passport as an Australian Citizen
Investment Options for the Australia Investor Visa
Make a complying significant investment in the following proportions
- At least AUD 500,000 in venture capital and growth private equity funds
- At least AUD 1.5 million in approved managed funds
- A ‘balancing investment’ of at least AUD 3 million in managed funds that may invest in a range of assets
- If the investment is withdrawn, it must be re-invested into another complying investment within 30 days
- Investments of AUD 5 million must be made into complying investments for a minimum period of 4 years
Threshold criteria for the Australia Investor Visa
- The applicant must prove that the assets have been lawfully acquired
- The applicant must meet Australian health and character requirements
- Physical residence of a minimum of 160 days over 4 years
Apply for a Significant Investor Visa Australia
- Submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) via “Skill Select” online service in order to be nominated by a State or Territory Government
- Upon receiving a nomination from a State or Territory government and an invitation to apply, submission of an online visa application within 60 days
- Make the complying investment
- Upon making the complying investment, the temporary visa will be issued
- The investment must be valued at $5million AUD at date of visa issue. If the investment rises or falls in value after this date it has no impact on the visa.
Timeframe to apply for Australia Citizenship by Investment
Approximately 12-24 months
Significant Investor Visa Key Takeaways
- Significant Investor Visa holders are funding innovation and growth in Australia. Some investment beneficiaries include a locally grown tech start-ups, early learning childcare centres, and biotech firms.
- The Australian lifestyle, culture and education as crucial factors for applying for the significant investor visa
- The program attracts diverse investors and access to foreign networks. SIVs create business networks in Australia that would not have otherwise been established, 61% of respondents indicated they collaborate with business partners in their country of origin when undertaking investments in Australia.
Private Banking Arrangements for the Significant Investor Visa
Westpac Private Bank is the private banking division of Westpac Banking Corporation which provides a comprehensive range of insights, opportunities and expertise accrued over more than 200 years of Westpac’s trading history. Westpac offers a total banking solution for high net worth clients delivered with a high level of service and personal attention from Australia’s leading private banking team.
The Significant Investor Visa was introduced by the Australian Government to enable foreign citizens with at least AU$5 million to obtain permanent residency and Citizenship in Australia by investing in Australian investments. The Investor Visa is a component of the Business Innovation and Investment Program (BIIP) run by the Australian Department of Home Affairs.
The Significant Investor Flexible Account
The Flexible Investment Account is Westpacs Private Banking solution for investor visa applicants and provides:
- A relationship management service with dedicated, multi-lingual Private Bankers
- A comprehensive range of banking and wealth services.
- An experienced team who understand the visa application process.
- A dedicated investment specialist who provides updates and information on investment opportunities.
- An account which can be used to invest in a wide range of complying investments.
- Unique investment solutions to choose from which have been extensively reviewed by investment experts.