Resident Return Visa
What is the Resident Return Visa
Only Australian citizens have an automatic right of entry to Australia. If you are a non-citizen returning to Australia you are required to have a re-entry visa. Normally, permanent residents can use their permanent resident visa to travel abroad and return to Australia for up to five years from the date the visa was granted. After five years, permanent resident must obtain a Five Year Resident Return visa in order to re-enter the country.
Resident Return Visa requirement
- you must have spent 2 years, within the last 5 living in Australia and be:
- an Australian permanent resident
- a former Australian permanent resident whose last permanent visa was not cancelled
- a former Australian citizen who lost or resigned your citizenship
How long is the Resident Return Visa valid?
Resident Return visas (subclass 155) have a 5 year validity if you meet the two year residence requirements. If you have not met the requirements yet still have a have a strong need to travel you may qualify for a 3 month Resident Return Visa subclass 157.
Apply for Resident Return Visa
Applications for a Resident Return visa can be made from inside or outside Australia. You will require Form 1085
Documents for Resident Return Visa Australia
- Certified copies of your passport
- Evidence of your past or present permanent resident visa
- Proof or residence requirement OR
- Reason for having not met the residence requirement yet still having ties to Australia
Resident Return Visa Processing Time
Processing times for the Resident Return Visa are the fastest in Australia:
- If you have Permanent Status and apply inside Australia: 1 day
- If you have Permanent Status and apply outside Australia: 14 days
- If you are a former permanent resident applying inside Australia: 6 months
- If you are a former permanent resident applying outside Australia: 9 months
What is the Resident Return Visa cost?
- if you apply online the Resident Return Visa cost is $360
- if you apply via post the Resident Return Visa cost is $80
Resident Return Visa Refused
If your Resident Return visa application is refused, you may have to consider applying again for another permanent visa, such as a Former Resident visa, a family visa or a skilled visa. You will be provided with information regarding your eligibility for any merits review processes.
Former Resident Return Visa
What is the Australia Former Resident Return Visa?
the Former Resident Return Visa allows resettlement of former Australian permanent residents and persons who served in the Australian Armed Forces before 1981. The formal name for this visa is Australian Immigration subclass 151.
Documents Required for the Former Resident Return Visa
The following documents are required for a subclass 151 application
Evidence of your ties with Australia while you have been living overseas, such as:
- date of arrival in, and departure from, Australia (passport pages)
- school attendance (school reports or information from the Department of Education)
- business, cultural or personal ties (evidence of business or property ownership, social or professional memberships, personal correspondence)
- regular correspondence with relatives or friends in Australia
- frequent visits to Australia for business, cultural or personal reasons
- economic or business interests in Australia, with proof of an ongoing and active interest
Partner documents for subclass 151 application
- identity documents
- character documents
- documents about other relationships
- your current marriage certificate or
- enough documents to prove you have been in a de facto relationship with your partner for at least 12 months
- joint bank account statements
- billing accounts in joint names
- joint leases or mortgages
- documents that show your partner has lived at the same address as you
Defense Service Documents if you are applying having served at least 3 months in the Australian armed forces prior to 1981
- personal details
- passport issue and expiry dates
- proof of change of name, if applicable
- a marriage or divorce certificate if applicable